It is no wonder why vehicle and automobile-related services and products like car detailing Marietta are becoming more relevant. This is due to a growing population of people who want to drive a car for different purposes. All people in the United States are eligible to drive a motor vehicle, whether he/she is male, female, or a dependent of any of two mentioned. But, just like other countries, one needs to successfully apply for and obtain a driver’s license, and driving without it would be illegal. To have a driver’s license, one will need to apply at a local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), which can also differ in different states.
The Application Process of Driver’s License
It is important to know that the application process may be different from each state. However, there still some basic steps that they all share. These are the following:
- Talk with the designated school official (DSO) to discuss with you the regulations and rules that may be distinct to the area you are in
- Confirm that your student record is Active in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System
- Wait for up to 10 days to be able to fully apply for a driver’s license and for your Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record info to be updated in the whole government system in the United States
- Get your Social Security Number (SSN) if it is required from you
- Visit and submit the necessary and required papers to the DMV
After submitting the necessary papers, the DMV may need to verify the nonimmigrant student status in order to determine if you are eligible for a driver’s license by using the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program.
The Necessary Papers You Need to Submit
Although papers needed for the application of driver’s license may vary from state to state, there are things that may be similar, the following are the documents that you need to prepare and submit:
- A valid passport and a recent student VISA. When you live in a country that does not require a VISA, you may skip giving your VISA to the office
- Depending on the state you are in, you may need to present and submit your SSN card or FOrm SSA-L676.
- Your Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for the Nonimmigrant Students States. Remember that this paper needs to be fully and completely signed before being presented
- Your proof of residence. Because the process and the requirements are so varied, we recommend that you search your local DMV and know what are the needed requirements in your area.
- If you are an optional practical training, it is important that you have with you the Form I-766 Employment Authorization Document.
After you have submitted all the necessary documents and successfully applied to the process, the DMV officer will provide you the net steps in obtaining the driver’s license. Also, the duration of how long you will wait for you to finally get the driver’s license may depend on each country. Finally, it is normal if you get a temporary license. You just need to wait for weeks to be given the final license.